ABOUT THE 516 GALLERY PROGRAM
Arts of the Albemarle coordinates monthly 2-3 artist exhibitions in the front gallery at The Center. Each artist will exhibit an example* of his/her work in the designated 516 Gallery space (or pedestals/window for three-dimensional art) The 516 Gallery will be identified by vinyl signage and promoted in marketing materials including First Friday ArtWalk Receptions, AOA website, Facebook and email e-blasts. *The number of pieces allowed to exhibited will depend on the number of participating accepted artist.
- A cohesive, professional looking exhibition of the artist’s work in the front retail space at The Center;
- An artists’ reception on the First Friday of the month;
- Vinyl signage of the artist’s name on in the 516 Gallery near your exhibition;
- Artist statement displayed in the 516 Gallery and also stored in a gallery binder available to the public;
- Promotional postcards announcing the 516 Gallery monthly exhibitors;
- Artist’s name listed on AOA promotional material and email; and
- A ‘Featured Artist’ listing on AOA website.
516 Gallery Artists responsibilities:
- Join AOA as an exhibiting artist;
- Volunteer during the month of the artist’s exhibit; and
- $25 exhibition fee
The 516 Gallery program is open to all AOA artists working in any medium. Sculptures, Glass and Jewelry artists will be considered separately from two-dimensional artists and are encouraged to apply. Artists who would like to be considered for both 2D and 3D work must submit two (2)separate applications.
What is the 516 Gallery?
The 516 Gallery is the front space of Arts of the Albemarle’s The Center. AOA exhibits the work of 2 to 3 member artists in this space each month.
How can I get my work exhibited in the 516 Gallery?
This is a juried space. All AOA members are eligible to apply. The deadline for the July 2014-June 2015 season is Friday, June 13th, 2014. Applications are available in the gallery and on-line at www.artsaoa.com/516gallery.com .
What kind of work should I enter?
Enter a series of work, your newest and freshest work is recommended! All work should be completed within one year of the application deadline. The 516 Gallery program is a great opportunity to exhibit a new example of work. You may enter up to five (5) pieces . The number of participating accepted artist will determine how many examples of works will be exhibited per artist.
What do you mean by a “series”?
A series of work is a cohesive body. In order to build a stronger application, artists are recommended to submit work that goes together. Generally, a series will be works of the same media, palette, style and subject matter. The jurors want to see that you can be consistent! For example, do not submit a realistic pastel portrait, oil abstract and a landscape photograph.
Who are the jurors?
The 516 Gallery jury panel is a group of 5 past/current gallery owners and Art educators.
How to apply?