The 2018 Photography Competition returns to the Jenkins Gallery this May!
- Friday, April 20th – Saturday, April 28th 10am-5pm ⋅ Entries accepted at AoA
- Saturday, April 28th 5pm ⋅ Submission deadline
- Friday, May 4th 4:45pm ⋅ Awards ceremony followed by First Friday Artwalk 5-7pm
- Friday, May 4th – Wednesday, May 30th ⋅ Photography show on display in the Jenkins Gallery
- Wednesday, May 30th ⋅ Pick up unsold artwork
- 1st Place ⋅ $200
- 2nd Place ⋅ $100
- 3rd Place ⋅ $50
- 10 Honorable Mentions
Meet this year’s juror, Sam Hughes:
Sam Hughes is originally from Laurel, Mississippi and attended
the University of Southern Mississippi, graduating with a degree
in photojournalism in 1987. After working as a photojournalist for newspapers and magazines throughout the south, he moved to the Pacific Northwest, specifically Portland, Oregon, in 1997, where he continued with his photojournalism career.
In 2002, Hughes moved to the Coastal Virginia area, where he began a successful photography business and soon after began teaching as an adjunct instructor for Tidewater Community College’s Visual Arts Center, teaching photography. In 2010, he began studies at Norfolk State University, earning a Master of Fine Arts degree in Visual Studies in May 2012. In the fall of 2013, Hughes joined the faculty as an assistant professor at the Norfolk State University’s Division of Fine Arts, where he currently teaches photography and graphic design.